Sunday, June 15, 2008

Father's Day


Today marks the first of hopefully many Father's Days where I get to be on the receiving end of the celebration. What does a good father look like? In addition to pondering over that question this last week, I've been contemplating how best to honor my own Dad this Father's Day. The most honoring thing I can think of is simply this: to do what my own dad did right.

So here is a partial list, in no particular order, of the things my dad did right.

Dad has always set a good example in his work ethic. Whether that means working a second job at night as a cytotechnologist while in the Army, or working Saturdays to put my sister and I though school, dad has never been a slacker. Dad has always worked hard at whatever he was doing, paid or volunteer at church. Responsibility is his middle name, and while I may have struggled with that a few years, I believe I'm following that example now.

Dad has also always been available. He has given both his time and attention while I was growing up and to this day. I remember how we used to play video games together, get ice cream, or build something like a potato canon. It was spent talking over theology, school, and the movie we just watched together. Dad always let me help him fix a broken computer and involved me in what he was doing around the house. I remember those times and learned a lot. I will do the same.

Since becoming a believer, Dad has been unflinchingly supportive of my service for the Lord and seminary education. He always offers to help Jessi and I out and I know he means it. Dad is selfless in his giving, something I want to emulate even more when I have the means to do so.

One of the most important examples my dad has set is in still being married to my mom. Not too many people do that these days. Thanks Dad! That is a legacy I want to leave for my own children as well.

But here's the thing about this list: it isn't over. My dad is still setting a good example. Maybe I've brought up things he wouldn't have considered that important. Perhaps I've botched it and left off the most important one! But either way, Dad, I love you and am proud of you and want to be a good father for my children as you have been for me.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Tom for the kind observations. I struggle with humility, so I won't say to much. I do know that you omitted all of my failings, but you've learned the second most important lesson that a Christian can learn... forgiveness.
    The one thing I am trully thankful for is that my son grew up to walk with the Lord. I know without a doubt that you will be a great father.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...