Sunday, June 16, 2013

Stash Starting Resources

I have a friend who has expressed an interest in learning to quilt. I must admit I am a little hesitant, because, what if she's better than me; or what if she realizes that it's not always all *that* hard, or what if I feel the need to do some sympathy fabric shopping?

Regardless, I thought it would be nice to share some good resources, and a couple favorite blogs. There are tons and tons of great quilting blogs, but I limit myself or else I would get nothing done because I'd spend all day scouring the internet.

Stash Building:

One of the first blogs I remember reading was Crazy Mom Quilts. In this post she shows how she folds her fabric, and also shares her criteria for scraps.


I love Connecting Threads, and their fabric. They come out with new lines often and are very affordable. 
They sell their fabric collections in precuts as well. And they don't charge for it! Buying a charm pack pretty much anywhere else will cost you 30% more or even more than that! For reference, a yard is 36"xWOF (width of fabric, which is usually 42-44").


For more thoughts on fat quarters, read Don't Call Me Betsy's post Dear Fat Quarters. She discusses what size cut she prefers and why.


Another blog I love is Cluck Cluck Sew. It's full of fresh colors and clean lines. She shares a post on how to start a fabric stash here. And I love her bottom line: the bottom line is, whether you have a big stash or a small stash..buy what you love.  If you love it, you’ll use it and be more happy with what you have. 




In Color Order has a whole blog series discussing fabric and color. She covers topics like: storage, organizing and buying as well as color schemes, tones, etc. This girl is thorough!



If you know of any other great resources on starting a stash or organizing or fabric, please share in the comments.

1 comment:

  1. I think it's awesome that you had another friend get interested in your craft. Great info, thanks for sharing a few of your lessons learned. Can't wait for our next craft date.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...