Saturday, December 31, 2011

Adana Part 1

After leaving Istanbul, I flew to Adana where my friend has relocated with her kids and Tommy flew to Van where my friend's husband was helping in the relief effort after the earthquake which caused them to relocate. We spent Monday through Saturday apart. But I had two other moms and six children to keep me busy.

Joanie. Such an adorable drama queen. She wasn't saying many words, but she can sing and dance!
And yes, that's a Starbucks cup.

That's Ataturk in the background. He's everywhere. Their national pride borders on religion.


 Raymond was 9 months old when I had last seen him. I totally shed a tear or two during his school performance.


Salgam, a nasty drink made from red carrot pickles. My friend made me drink it, just like she made me eat durian. 


Katie looking for cheddar cheese. But there's really only two kinds of cheese in Turkey, and cheddar isn't one of them.


Rachel and I making thanksgiving dinner.


Thanksgiving Dinner. Zucchini casserole, turkey breast (called hindi in turkish), gravy, green bean casserole, stuffing, pineapple casserole, carrot souffle, mashed potatoes and rolls.


Most of my time in Adana was spent helping my friend find a new apartment. My first turkish word was "for rent."  I had a rough time with jet lag but loved spending time there. Katie says I picked up the language quickly, as in I was able to learn a few words and phrases and remember and use them. I was a bit sad when it was time to leave because I was enjoying that aspect more that I thought I would. I have no clue how to go about spelling anything I learned, so I won't bother with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...